Monday 6 April 2020

So helpless

And the Spirit
He helps us in our weakness
we do not know how to pray as we should
but the Holy Spirit intercedes for us
with groanings too deep for words.

Romans 8:26

I read this verse on a friend's blog this morning and it brought tears to my eyes.  This is such a season of weakness.  Most days I feel so very helpless.  There is so much pain and suffering and grief in the world and there is not a thing I can do about it.  As a natural helper this is a significant struggle for me.  BUT GOD has been so faithful to invite me back to Him.  My Abba asks me to crawl up into His lap and sit with Him for awhile.  He longs for me to share my tears and my fears with Him.  He then reminds me that it is not my job to save the world.  Jesus already did that.  He also reminds me that He gave me His Spirit long ago when I asked Him to forgive my sins and started a relationship with Him.  He reminds of His promises that He will always be with me, that He has a plan full of hope for the world, and that He loves me unconditionally - whether I am helping someone or not!  Then there is this promise in this verse.  When all I can manage is a broken heart and tears that His Spirit is interceding for me with groanings too deep for words.  The Holy Spirit goes to the Father on my behalf and shares words and groans that show the Father my heart.  My tiny human brain cannot begin to visualize this scene but what I do imagine is a good reminder of how loved I am and how much God wants me to trust Him.

But He (Jesus) said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  
For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NIV)

His grace is sufficient for every weakness, every insult, every hardship, every persecution and every difficulty.  He needs my weakness so He can display His power through me.  It's hard to enter this Holy Week and not focus on the chaos in the world.  People are dying by the hundreds around the world every day.  Families are losing loved ones and cannot hold a funeral.  More people are getting sick daily and even hourly.  The people of this world are suffering.  My prayer is that each day this week my eyes will be fixed on my Saviour.  Then when I feel very weak, He can pour out His power on me.  For awhile that power may be needed to just get out of bed each day.  For a season that power may need to overflow to other people virtually.  For a season that power may drive me to my knees more often.  For a season that power may urge me to crawl into my loving Father's lap.  For a season that power will remind me that the Spirit is groaning on my behalf to a depth that cannot even be described in words.

I want to leave with a verse of the hymn that came to mind as I was writing this.  It's the fourth verse from "Power in the Blood."  If you don't know it then find it on your favourite music platform.  There's a link to a YouTube video of one of my favourite versions below.  It's a great one!  

Would you do service for Jesus your King?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Would you live daily His praises to sing?
There's wonderful power in the blood.


No comments:

Post a Comment